A must try weeknight dish — ready in 30 minutes and deliciously gourmet. This recipe is easy and pairs well with a salad, cous cous, or potatoes.
Easy Baked Greek Chicken
Yields: 2 Servings
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oi
- 1/4 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- One 5-ounces fresh spinach (2 large handfuls)
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (about 1/2 palmful)
- 2 pieces skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup crumbled greek feta cheese
Preheat the oven to 425°. Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and two-thirds of the garlic and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Add the spinach and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg to the skillet. Allow the spinach to wilt slightly. Not more than 2 minutes — it should still have some of its natural color to it. Remove and combine with onion mixture. Melt the butter in the same pan, turn off the heat and add the panko, oregano and remaining garlic; toss.
Drizzle a baking dish with the remaining 1 extra virgin olive oil. Split each chicken breast across (butterflied, not all the way). Stuff with the spinach mixture and the feta, letting the stuffing overflow at the edges. Place the chicken pieces in the baking dish and top with the breadcrumbs. Bake until the juices run clear, about 20 minutes.