Outdoor movies. Why do they make me so giddy? Perhaps it’s the part where your defying the everyday movie experience you have grown accustomed to? Or the fact that you are enjoying nature and technology at the same time? But what about an outdoor movie in a mall? Does that still get your blood pumping?
Check this. Santa Monica Place — the brand new outdoor “experience” mall is hosting FREE outdoor movie nights. Movies in a mall, in the recent years have walked hand in hand. You cannot visit a mall without finding a movie theater attached. The combination of shopping, entertainment and food have become commonplace. This event, coined “Classic Favorites Under the Stars” sets a new precedent of what is possible within a mall.
If you haven’t already visited Santa Monica Place then you don’t know the Dining Deck. An open air, roof top deck lined with privately owned restaurants and a food court that rivals gourmet. Did I mention the view of Santa Monica State Beach and the landmark Santa Monica Pier?
On Wednesday nights they showcase classic feature films that are prime for every audience. A date, family, or friends. On Monday nights they drum up some independents. Invited to bring your own chairs and blankets and make your self at home.
The night we made it out was an evening in mid-March, in which we were lucky enough to snag two comfy lounge chairs, a space heater, curl up under a blanket and enjoy a screening of The Godfather. Pizza Antica the adjacent restaurant to the Dining Deck offered free pizza samples and wait service to those that were enjoying the film.
Have I failed to mention that this is completely FREE. Oh yes! It costs nothing. Not a donation, not a suggested fee. So if your ever feeling spontaneous on a Monday or Wednesday evening in the next few weeks. Stop by, and check out an experience unique in its own right.
Monday Night Independent Films:
- April 4th – Vicky Cristina Barcelona
- April 11th – Napoleon Dynamite
- April 18th – My Big Fat Greek Wedding
- April 25th – (500) Days of Summer
- May 2nd – THe Kids Are Alright
- May 9th – Kung Fu Hustle
- May 16th – L’illusionist
- May 23rd – Harold and Maude
- May 30th – Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Wednesday Night Classics:
- April 6th – E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
- April 13th – Shrek- This movie night is hosted by Zengo and co-hosted by “Shrek” the Musical. The first 100 people to arrive will receive special SHREK ears and a chance to win tickets to the musical at the Pantages theater. You wont want to miss this!
- April 20th – Raiders of the Lost Ark
- April 27th – Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- May 4th – The Breakfast Club
- May 11th – West Side Story- This movie night is hosted by La Sandia. You won’t want to miss special treat and surprises for all in attendance.
- May 18 – Goldfinger
- May 25 – Viewers Choice Movie